I have a few observations that I made whilst gambooling it up in Vegas that I forgot to put in anywhere else. To wit:
- I must be getting old. The first time I walked by the beer girls standing in the main intersection, I thought to myself “Nice shorts, hot girls.” I then looked sideways to see if my lovely bride saw me checking them out. Two or three trips later, I was oblivious to their charms. A few trips later, I was actually thinking to myself “They should get their airhead asses out of the middle of the busiest intersection in the place!” My Vegas is not the coke and hookers Vegas of 2+2.
- I saw T.J. Cloutier playing craps not once, not twice, but three times. He has long been rumored to have a problem with the game and it appeared to be the case. He looked profoundly unhappy each time I saw him. It diminishes my ability to imagine him as one of the greatest poker players of our time, even though I guess he is.
- I assume that there is a level of poker where you don’t find donks playing, but I haven’t got there yet. $3,000 buy-in tourneys had plenty. 50/100 limit had plenty.
- Developing a good relationship with bartenders and sushi chefs is +EV. There is a great sushi place near us that opened recently and through some relationship management and excess tipping, we now get asked to tree free samples of new rolls or appetizers that he is working on and get little “special” cuts he was “saving for us.”
- If you have followed the kerfluffle at 2+2 surrounding Ed Miller’s wife Elaine that led to her departure and then his departure, I think I have an explanation for some of the venom that gets directed her way. Elaine had a habit of tilting at the windmills of misogyny and purile humor that are often a focus of OOT. I found her willingness to engage in obviously hopeless debate amusing, but it really offended some of those who were the target of her scorn. I suspect that they hated her so much because it reminded them of the poor reaction they often get from real women. Maybe Ed will hang out at ITH again. ;)Â (I had to unlink the original posts, because 2+2 moved them to the mod forum.Â I have them in my cache, but I don’t know if I want to post it if they want it deleted)
- Can you imagine Las Vegas in any country in the world but ours? It is such a monument to excess and redefines garish. I love it.